Strong Core from the Floor: Floor Hollow
A stronger core doesn’t come from crunches…
If you’re looking for an unorthodox way to get a stronger core, and learn a new skill in the process, this is it. The floor hollow is a triple threat! You will strengthen your core, lay a foundation for a strong hang and silently be working towards a pull-up. Here’s how it goes:
- Lying on your back, grab a dowel and anchor it to something (rig, sled, pet etc.)
- Raise your feet towards the ceiling and push your spine into the floor.
- Shorten the distance between your belly button and your ribs.
- Lower your legs towards the floor keeping you spine connected to the floor.
- Further reinforce your core tension by pushing your hands into the dowel, like you’re trying to bring it to your toes.
The Floor Hollow is an entry level position that shouldn’t be counted out. It's a great way for anyone to build core strength. If you can't keep straight legs, bending the knees at a 90 degree angle makes this exercise more accessible.