Fitness over 40: Nutrition Tips for Success
“The whole “age” thing, it is a factor, but it’s just a factor.” - Ed McKay
40 tends to be the age where people begin to take their health even more seriously. That’s where we come in.
Recently, a member now in their 50’s, recalled that when she turned 40, she felt like her metabolism came to a screeching halt. Ed, who was leading the discussion, followed with this;
“It (age) doesn’t actually limit your ability to drop fat. It’s just something else you have to consider. It means you have to be stricter on other things. For most people, when they’re in the 40’s or 50’s, they actually have a firmer grasp on life. Some of the stuff that younger people struggle with, they (40 and 50 year olds) don’t. Understand your life experience is an asset.”
If you’re over 40, here are 5 nutrition habits you should consider if you want to make a change.
1) Plan to eat every 2-4 hours. Being prepared is 90% of the battle. Planning to eat this frequently curbs the likelihood of reaching for a sugary snack and keeps the metabolism burning.
2) Have protein with every meal. Protein keeps us full and is a necessary building block for your body.
3) Have vegetables with every meal. Vegetables are high in nutrients and fiber. Having them with every meal will help bring your body to a healthier pH, which leads to more fat burning and better recovery.
4) Have fruit with any meal. Fruit can be rich in vitamins, but can also be sugary. Prioritize fruits like berries and oranges, which provide the nutrients your body needs without a ton of sugar. Reduce your consumption of caribbean fruits (i.e. bananas) that are higher in sugar.
5) Eat until you are 80% full. Eating slowly and being mindful of when you reach this bench mark will curb overeating. Whether it’s a healthier meal or cheat meal, stopping at this point is important.